Use this Handbook if:
- You are a federal prisoner who believes that the Bureau of Prisons (“BOP”) wrongly computed your release date;
- You are a federal prisoner who believes that the BOP has not given you all of the credits to which you are entitled;
- You are a federal prisoner who wants an expedited transfer to a residential re-entry center or “halfway house”;
- You are a person who is being detained by federal immigration authorities while awaiting deportation; or
- You are a state pre-trial detainee who believes you are being held in violation of the Constitution or laws of the United States.
This is not a complete list of every instance in which filing a petition under Section 2241 would be appropriate. Section 2241 petitions often concern matters such as parole procedures, sentence computation, or loss of credits that extend the duration of confinement.