You are here

Central Violations Bureau (CVB) - Federal Ticket

About the CVB

The Central Violations Bureau (CVB) is a national center charged with processing violation notices (tickets) issued and payments received for petty offenses committed on federal property. This includes violations of certain federal laws as well as certain state laws, if the state law violations occur on tribal lands or on federal property such as federal buildings, national parks and courthouses, military installations, post offices, Veteran Affairs (VA) medical centers, national wildlife refuges, and national forests. Violaions include improper parking, illegal camping, speeding, civil disturbances, fish and wildlife infractions, and other offenses. The CVB also processes tickets for some violations of federal law that may occur on private property, including migratory bird offenses.  You can find more information about the CVB on the CVB website.

About Your Violation Notice

When a federal law enforcement agency issues a violation notice (ticket), it send the original copy to the CVB.  The CVB enters the ticket into its database and tracks the status of the ticket, including payment history, until the case is closed.  If the ticket is not paid, the CVB will mail you a Notice to Appear in court before a federal Magistrate Judge approximately two (2) to four (4) weeks prior to your court date. If you have not received a Notice to Appear within 45 days of receiving your ticket, call the CVB at 800-827-2982.

For general information regarding your ticket or if you have moved since receiving your ticket, telephone CVB at 800-827-2982 during normal business hours. CVB hours of Operation are Monday - Friday 8:00a.m. to 6:00p.m. Central Time.

Paying the Ticket

If an amount due is shown on your ticket or Notice to Appear, you may avoid appearing in court by paying the amount due. Tickets are paid directly to CVB. There are several ways in which you may make payment:

  • You can pay on-line HERE.  
  • You may make a payment by calling the Central Violations Bureau during normal business hours at (800) 827-2982.
  • You may also mail a check or money order to the following address.   PLEASE DO NOT SEND CASH!  

Central Violations Bureau
P.O. Box 780549
San Antonio, TX 78278-0549

Make sure to include the location code and violation number on your payment.

NOTE:  By paying the amount due:

1.  You waive your right to (a) contest the ticket, (b) to a trial, and (c) to be represented by counsel.

2.   You may be admitting to a criminal offense and a conviction may appear in a publc record with adverse consequenses to you. You have a right to know more about the charge against you, and you may obtain a complete statement of the charge by calling the CVB at 800-827-2982. 

3.  If you are charged with a motor-vehicle violation, your payment may be reported to your state's motor-vehicle or driver-licensing agency.  As a result, points may be assessed against your driving record, your license or registration may be suspended, and additional fees may be imposed by your state.

If you wish to appear in court to contest your ticket, rather than paying the fine, you must appear at the time, date, and court location indicated on your ticket or on your Notice to Appear.

Mandatory Appearance

If your ticket is marked Mandatory Appearance – or if there is no amount due shown on your ticket or Notice to Appear – you must appear at the date, time, and court location indicated on your ticket or Notice to Appear.

Failure to Pay or Appear

If you fail to pay your fine or appear in court at the date and time scheduled on the ticket or Notice to Appear, the Court may issue a summons ordering your appearance or issue a warrant for your arrest. If a warrent for your arrest is issued, you will be arrested by teh United States Marshal and taken for a court appearance.

If you are charged with a motor vehicle violation, the court may also report your failure to pay or appear to the DMV of your state, which may affect your driving and/or registration privileges.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Link to the CVB FAQ
  • What if I want to appear in court to contest my ticket, but I can't appear on the date on my Notice to Appear?  Before the stated court date, please call the Court Clerk's Office at 615-726-5498 during normal business hours. 
  • Am I entitled to an attorney to represent me in court?  You may hire an attorney to represent you in court.  If you are unable to afford an attorney, the Court may appoint an attorney to represnt you, depending on what you are charged with.